Here’s the scenario…
You’ve got a job in a different city, it’s too far to travel everyday, you need to move. You’re not sure if your work contract will be extended or even if you pass the provisional 6 month period, but the opportunity is to good to pass up.
As a property management company, we hear this a lot and ultimately we have lots of flats for rent in Liverpool. The phrases; temporary, love my home, not sure and see how things work out are common. We hear all the reasons imaginable that will basically mean you’ll quickly need to rent out your home. Financially, you couldn’t afford not to.
If you’re not prepared to let an experienced company who have experience with apartments in Liverpool to rent, undertake this on your behalf. We’ve put down a few quick tips to think about;
6 tips for choosing the right tenant
1. Take your time. Don’t rush the search. You’re better to go without a tenant for a month, than to choose one who doesn’t fit.
2. Meet your tenants in person. Even if you’re working with a property manager, always meet your potential tenant in person. You have a better idea of what you’re looking for.
3. Trust your instincts. If your gut says something’s not right, it’s probably right. Listen to it.
4. Ask for references. Always ask for references. Make sure to have a list of questions on hand. And don’t feel bad about prying – it could be the difference between a good and terrible tenant.
5. Run a credit check. This isn’t always possible, but if you can do one then do it.
6. Use a lease and get a deposit (this is a legal obligation). Make sure you have your tenant sign a lease and always take at least one month’s rent as a deposit (look at rental deposit scheme) in case anything should happen.